Serotonin-Plus Weight Loss Exercise Tips
How much exercise should you do?
A very good exercise program would have a person exercising 4-5 days a week for 30-45 minutes. During this exercise, the person’s heart rate should be reaching at least 80 percent of the target heart rate for age to burn the maximum amount of calories to enhance your weight loss efforts. It may take you a while to work your way up to 4-5 days per week of exercise if you’re activity level is low and that is to be expected. Remember, the more you exercise, the more calories you burn and the more you can eat.
The target heart rate is calculated as 220 minus the person’s age. For example, a 55 year old person has a target heart rate of 165. Eighty percent of this target heart rate is 135. Therefore, if a person is exercising 4-5 times a week for 30-45 minutes, and the heart rate is reaching 135, that person is doing an aggressive exercise program. If you have difficulty feeling your own pulse, please consider purchasing a heart rate monitor so that you are able to track your heart rate during exercise.
Serotonin Formula, Inc. can help you develop an effective exercise program. Our own certified personal trainers can train, consult or coach you to give you step-by-step exercise instruction to enhance your weight loss efforts. They can train you in person if you live in the Washington DC metro area or right over the phone if you live in another geographic area. For information, please call 800-940-1510 or click here to send a message to Serotonin Formula, Inc.
Here are some helpful hints to increase the amount of calories that you are burning off:
- You must create exercise time for yourself – plan workouts in advance so that you can work your schedule around them.
- When you exercise, you should do something that you enjoy. Some of you may love dancing; others may enjoy racquetball. We have included on the next page a chart of popular activities and how many calories are burned off during these activities.
- Climb the stairs at work whenever possible as opposed to taking the elevator. Park a little farther from the entrance to a store or office so you need to walk a little more.
- Find a friend or a group of friends in your neighborhood or workplace who are willing to walk with you 3-5 days a week. A walking program with companions seems to be much better adhered to than walking alone.
- Consider joining a local health club or engaging the services of a certified personal trainer who can help you begin a healthy exercise program.
- Consider purchasing an exercise treadmill or elliptical trainer for your basement. When the weather is poor, there still is the opportunity to exercise. Also, consider placing your exercise equipment in front of a television set or other entertainment center so that you will not be “bored” during your exercise.
- Whenever possible schedule morning workouts so that you can start the day feeling that you accomplished something for yourself.
Obviously, if you have not been exercising at all, it will take some time for your aerobic conditioning to improve so that you are able to exercise for this amount of time. Please start slowly and it is very important that you check with your physician to see if there are any reasons why you should not begin an exercise program.